Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Web Activity 6-- Dingo

This assignment confused me at first. "Create an image that uses words and symbols to imply hierarchy" (Lohr, 153). As a teacher, I am cautious that I don't give open ended assignments like this. My first questions were: Hierarchy of what? What words or symbols? What is the topic? Does not the topic determine how to represent hierarchy? In addition, I found the example to be more confusing and amateurish. Is this the best example Lohr could come up with?

My first instincts were to be a bit cheeky and type '1, 2, 3' on a page and be done. Then, I started thinking that MS Publisher has lots of good characters and shapes that can represent hierarchy. I went there for inspiration but did not want to use any of their stock images or formats. I developed my image based on the carrot symbol.


2 comments:

  1. This visual clearly depicts the ideas outline in Lohr. You did a nice job coming up with an interesting page layout that shows sequencing and hierarchy. I like the different hues of blues and the cue words to emphasize this idea. I would have to agree with you that I was a little lost on how to focus solely on hierarchy and depict it well. You did a nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea was to find a topic first and then use symbols and words to imply hierarchy for the topic you chose.

    ReplyDelete