Sunday, February 12, 2012


First, I want to say that I think the image in the book was not too bad for a seventh grader. I tried to stay with the same concept but used color and alignment to make the text stand out. I used a different skull and cross bones to make it less blocky (I know that is not really a word). The heading 'tobacco' is layered on top of the skull a bit to make it stand out. I thought that there was too much text on the original image so edited the message to make it shorter.

While I found Aviary to be a more stable platform than Sumopaint, I still found it too limiting for serious work on design layout. My first idea for this poster was to take an image of a dementor from the Harry Potter movies and have the creature sucking the smoke exhaled by a teenage smoker. For those of you who are not Harry Potter fans, dementors are creatures who suck the souls from people in what is described as a dementor's kiss. The title of my image would have been 'The Kiss of Tobacco.' However, I could not convert an image to black and white with Aviary and had difficulties with re-sizing layers. I bit the bullet today and bought a copy of Photoshop that will be delivered later this week.

Credits:

Skull and cross bones: https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmciA_hMJETENzv9lx18B20x1jQG4OaJumWfUvhL7DiSbb-AuW7Q

3 comments:

  1. I like your image a lot. It definitely gets the point across and I like how you organized your information in the skull. The only thing I could think of to improve it a little is that the title gets lost a little in the black background. Other than that it is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the unique approach using the skull and crossbones. I might move the image up just a tad so there's the same amount of space on the top and bottom. Also, there's a typo with "cigarettes."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, good solution to the problem. I would watch the margins, though. You have margins at the top and sides, but the bottom image bleeds off the page.

    ReplyDelete