Sunday, February 12, 2012

Web Activity 5

I decided to take a similar approach to the example in the Lohr book. I tried to find a picture that also represented or served as a ironic metaphor, which is why I chose the image with the lungs as an ash tray. Then, I wanted to use size and color to emphasize and display the words about tobacco use.

I used the same font and main colors throughout. At first I had the title in a different font, but changed it back. Would having a title font different as the rest of the font look alright? I also chose to stick with yellow as the "highlighted" color. Could I have used different colors or is it best to be consistent?

Other comments and feedback are welcomed! Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I like the lungs as an ashtray. Is there a way you could make them a little more prominent? I might not have noticed them without your description. When I first look at this poster I notice words. Lots of words. I might not read it if I were passing it in the hall or had it handed to me. If you're like me, you're constantly inundated with "facts" by bleeding heart activists trying to save your soul or make you aware of their urgent cause. My eyes just glaze over any sort of statistic these days. You know, lies, damned lies, and statistics and all that. I think bringing the photo to the forefront and keeping just one statistic would be more effective. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind, I guess we have to include all the facts. Still, is there a way to make it feel less busy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra, I like your background, but would suggest making it a bit more transparent so that the text is easier to read (this may get at the "busy" feeling Stephen got). As for your questions, I'm a huge fan of consistency, so in my opinion using the same font and colors is a plus. I thought it was creative of you to use varying font sizes for the facts. A spin off of that would be to use larger fonts instead of the highlighting, but thats just a thought I had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra, I always caution students about using background images under text. It is difficult to do this well. You may want to try placing the image of the lungs next to the text to illustrate your text (remember dual coding theory?).

    ReplyDelete