Sunday, February 12, 2012

Activity 5-Facts About Tobacco

I wrestled with this activity for the past few days...Based on the readings it seemed like my figure-ground image needed to be two-fold. The readings made it seem like an optical illusion. If you focused one way you could see the image and then focusing the other way you would see the text. I had a hard time making my own optical illusion. I found this image on google and loved it! I stretched it in PPT and then added text boxes for the words. As you can see from some of my previous images I really like black and white images and text.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated!

7 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    I love this composition. It is a great photo for a figure ground exercise. I like that you used the same font from the original. I could not find that font.

    The only thing I would change is that it looks to me like the text in white is in bold while the black is not. Maybe this is just an illusion. I too like to use sans serif fonts in my images but I think a serif font like Times New Roman or something that looks like it was typed on an old typewriter would add to the film noir style suggested by the photo.

    While the photo is a great composition, I question whether it might be too sexy for an anti-smoking campaign.

    Good job.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The font is called "chiller". Thanks for the comments about the activity. I will look again and make sure they are not bolded.

      I will also see if I can find a similar image that isn't quite as sexy. Thanks Matt!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed the simplicity of this image. I think it was strategic to place these facts on the image that uses a sex appeal. Sex would be the main way tobacco products would be advertised, so to use the same catch with a different message is cunning.

    The black and white the image is really easy on the eyes.
    I would suggest however that youmay want to increase the font sizes of the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray...I'll look into text sizes!!

      Delete
    2. I cede this point to Ray. Why not use the same sex appeal to promote a counter message?

      Matt

      Delete
  3. Jessica, good composition, nice contrast, good use of figure-ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is really well done! I love the idea of using sex to sell not to smoke. The contrast in the image is great! The proximity of the wording works well with the image. I also really like the font used on the cigarette. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete