Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Rob Morgan Logo Design

I will admit I am well outside of my area of expertise with an assignment such as this but I am giving it my best shot.

I decided to try updating the logo for my department at JMU (IT Training) I knew that I wanted something simple that had text saying what our department was since it is unlikely we would ever become popular enough to be recognized by symbol alone. I then got out a piece of paper and a pencil and started writing down what I thought IT Training (ITT) represented. Once I had some ideas written down I tried drawing a few things but my lack of artistic ability quickly overwhelmed my most enthusiastic efforts. So...I turned to google and looked for sites that could help me turn my ideas into reality. I found a site called logo garden that did just that.

I started going through my list of ideas as to what training is and trying to connect that with images. My first idea was that ITT was a piece of the puzzle so I looked for an abstract puzzle as an image.
It worked but I thought it looked a little too boring and 1980's.

My next idea was that ITT helps guide you down the right path or "partners" with you on your journey. So I looked for images that fit that idea and came up with this.

Not terrible but I didn't think it was too exciting either.

My next idea was that ITT is a bridge between where you are and where you are going. There are a lot of training organizations that have this same idea so there is no lack of Training logos with bridges on them in the world. I thought I would try to go a little more abstract with the bridge though and got this.
This was my favorite so far but I still was not satisfied. I thought it was a little to "star trek" not sure why but every time I looked at it I thought of star trek. So I moved on.

My next though was to just go obvious and since we train on technology I should use a logo that showed technology. I played with some computers, tablets, circuits, etc. And finally landed on this mouse.
Unfortunately, this is just too obvious for me. I think the only thing worse would be having a picture of a train since we do "train"ing. I was not a fan of the obvious clip art like logo so I tried again.

The last thing I had written down was that we "present ideas" "share ideas" "explore new options" when I thought of the word explore or idea I thought of a light bulb. So I looked for some light bulb images and found this one.
This was the first logo I looked at and thought had potential. So I stuck to this one and started playing around with color. I added the JMU purple to the light bulb.
I decided to start playing around with colors and fonts and I also decided to try making the light bulb a little smaller so that your attention was drawn to IT Training since that should be the focus.
I felt like making the light bulb smaller and the lighter color helped make IT Training stand out in the logo. Here is the final version of the logo. I added some shadow effects to the text and went with a Serif font since I thought it made the "I" in IT stand out a little bit better.





6 comments:

  1. Rob I like the amount of progressions you went through. Personally I like the cleanliness of the first try. Going from your last iteration I have these comments from the rubric:
    - It is very clean, aesthetically pleasing, and well crafted. I'm sure you will get full points there
    - The logo is recognizable, colors are great, and the whole thing is cohesive
    - What is the overall message of the logo, does IT Training give Ideas? This might be hard to convey in a simple logo but (if anything) you might want to try and tie this to a main concept more. That might be me being picky.
    - You only use 2 different fonts (which is great, keep it to just 2 max). After you played around with fonts did you find any others that work? The "IT Training" font works well, but it might be worth while to look at other fonts for that segment

    Would really have to dig to find more criticism for you. This was an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JMU actually has a policy written for what fonts can be used when you write James Madison University on something official. Garamond is one of the few options available. So the subtitle would need to stay as Garamond. The title I played with a few fonts and decided I wanted something serif and that was fairly condensed.

      I started by writing down words that I associated with the department. "Ideas" was one of the words I chose since the department provides learners with new knowledge and ideas. I felt like a light bulb was a pretty standard visual depiction of ideas.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Rob, I really enjoyed seeing your logo journey. You had a lot of great ideas as you went along. The final logo looks great. It would be cool if you could use the filament of the lightbulb to give you the "T" in IT. But, that might be hard to do. Other than that, my only suggestion would be to make the JMU a little bit bigger. IT Training seems a bit overbearing and you have have a good amount of white space room to play with under the "ning" of training. But, that is being really nit-picky. Really great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I took your suggestion and tried playing with making JMU larger but something looked "off" when I did that. I think since all of our "clients" are JMU people that may not need to be out there quite as much as it would if this was for the general public.

      Delete
  3. Rob -

    I too loved reading through your logo journey! You are so good at this stuff, and it's nice to be able to have the opportunity to look at your work again! (BTW - I miss you guys at IT!) I think my favorites were the bridge logo and the light bulb logo. I appreciated your abstract idea with the bridge! However the light bulb and the colors used for your last logo were excellent! Nice use of white space also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kara. I would disagree that I am good at this stuff...in fact graphic design is one of my greatest weaknesses but I appreciate the comment. Not sure if we will ever use the logo over here but it was fun to make it. I will let everyone know you said hi!

      Delete