Thursday, February 12, 2015

Christy's Logo Draft

Here's the best version of my first draft of the logo, which I decided to work on for the Educational Leadership program. I support this program in my Graduate Assistantship, so I tried to use this knowledge while making design decisions. I know that the program aims to produce educational leaders, which translates most often as principals for K-12 schools. I chose a photo of professional-looking men and women to represent future principals (or members of other leadership positions in education) and cut out the white spaces and background using Sumo Paint. I also built the school building in Sumo Paint, which was meant to look like a schoolhouse. Somewhat ironically, it also looks a lot like Memorial Hall (even though many Ed. Leadership students do not actually ever meet in Memorial for their courses). I recolored both of these images, although I was originally planning to make the Logo black and white. I also saved the logo as a PNG file so that it could be easily added to documents, webpages, or program materials in the future (without the ugly white box in the background).

I would especially appreciate feedback on the colors, because I think they need to be tweaked (maybe more muted?). I also think I need a different font type, and I'm not sure I like the placement of the words at all. I put them above the people because I wanted them to look like they were stepping forward (to convey leadership) against the backdrop of the school building. I am also concerned that there is too much detail in the silhouettes of the people for a logo assignment. Any ideas would be appreciated! I am a really detail-oriented person, so the simplicity of logos is particularly difficult for me.

1 comment:

  1. Christy, definitely a great start to your logo for this program! I like the concept a lot and think you've executed really nicely so far. I would definitely play around with moving the text- I think it could also go underneath the people and perhaps be a bolder font, at least the world leadership so that it will stand out. Also for the colors, you can go here to see JMU's official colors: http://www.jmu.edu/identity/colors.shtml (that way they match the overall brand of the university). I like the idea of it being black and white too- perhaps with pops of color like the ties or parts of the people? Just an idea. Lastly, not that this is a big deal, but there appear to be 5 men and 2 women- you might want to even out the ratio considering the demographic at JMU. Great work thus far!

    ReplyDelete