Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Jen's Draft Logo

My husband is the CTO for a environmental non-profit here in Charlottesville called Environmental Health News.  The organization writes and publishes environmental health news and also conglomerates this type of news on their website (http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org).  When the organization was formed, they hired a graphic designer to create a logo for them.  This was the original logo.


While the organization didn't love the logo, they felt that it was "good enough" and captured the essence of at least some of what they do.  About a year ago, they were redesigning their website and they hired a second graphic designer to update their logo.  This is was she created:


My husband hates this logo because the designer modified a stock graphic and it is super generic.  It doesn't speak to what the organization really does.  So, when we were given this assignment, I figured I would give redesigning their logo a shot.  If they didn't like it, no worries, they already had a logo.  So, I started by creating a list of the things I think of when I think of each of the words in their organization name: environment, health, and news.  From that lists, I liked the idea of incorporating a hearth rhythm, the earth, and some kind of broadcast signal.  Keeping that it mind, I started doodling.  I doodled a lot.  As I drew, I began to play around with ways these elements could work together.

At some point in my drawing, I realized that I could use the heart rhythm to create some of the letters in the logo.  So, I drew a draft, freehand version of the heart line and played with it to get the angles right in order for the line to create the N.  Here is my rough, rough draft.


Then, I began to play with the type.  The font above was kind of plain and didn't really grab me.  I tried lots of different fonts and combinations and this is the best so far.

Then, I just needed to play around with the color, layout and spacing.  Here are my current rough drafts.


These are the factors that I would love feedback/help with:
1)  Should the earth be offset or centered?
2)  The color of the earth, green, blue or some other color?
3)  The font
4)  Should "environmental" and "health" be left aligned (pic 1), or repeat the angle (pic 2)
5)  Should there be more white space between the line and the words
6)  Too much white space in the earth?

Thanks all!


3 comments:

  1. I think your logo looks great! 1000x better than the first, haha. These are just my opinions, I am by no means a graphics person, but...
    1) I like the positioning of the globe where it is, the signal balances it out.
    2) I think the blue earth is easier to read and from the top two logos, blue has been a prominent color of theirs.
    3) The font looks great
    4) I think the second picture is easier to read
    5) The spacing looks good, but I think the N sticks out taller at the top than it does below News. So maybe look at extending it down a hair or shortening it a little, if I'm being picky.
    6) White space seems to be the right amount for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback, Lauren. That's the way that I was leaning, too. My sister commented that I should make the points on the heart rhythm less severe. So, I'm going to try and work on that, too. I really appreciate your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jen! What a creative logo!
    1) I like the earth off center, it gives the focus on the words and allows the broadcast signal to feel more like its going into space.
    2) I like that last blue color. Green and red are hard on the eyes to be directly next to each other (especially the color blind). Plus, the blue is more like the oceans of the earth, and it makes the black and red pop more.
    3) LOVE the font. However, perhaps make the heart beat have thinner and thicker lines to match the font more?
    4) I like the movement in the centered allignment, it flows better with the angle of the heart beat.
    5) I would bring the top line of text up further to match the margin of the bottom line distance from the heart beat line.
    6) the white space is perfect on the earth, my eye fills in the circle, and it keeps it from being too busy.

    ReplyDelete