Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sam Dowell Visual Resume Draft

I looked like online for different visual resume creation programs and found a lot of good sites. If I were to make a visual resume professionally, I would more than like use a website than creating a print copy of one. The reasons for this are twofold: The templates they have on website programs such as re.vu and visualize.me have a lot of neat features that are very time efficient and easy to use.

For the purpose of this project, i decided to create a print copy to go through the process of creating visual media. I started out using microsoft publisher. Publisher has some project features such as headlines and stories which allowed for some creativity but I struggled to find a way to create my own designs.

I ended up switching to powerpoint because I had to leave town and do not have publisher on my personal computer. Using powerpoint is very similar to publisher, with the exception of the project features. I ended up choosing a powerpoint template i liked and picking a color scheme that worked with the template. I look forward to hearing everyone;s thoughts and am excited to learn about the the different programs and features people used to create their visual resumes.


                                          

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sam,
    I really like the look of your visual resume! If you were going to apply to a state job (or national/government job) they would enjoy the patriotic flair you've added!

    I like how you have chunked the information on the page, and where you've placed all of the information. While I enjoy the quote, and it tells me something about your personality/drive, I wonder if that space would have been used better by displaying your objective (what kind of job/work you are looking for).

    I really like how you've included the logos of the companies you have worked for in the past. That shows a sense of loyalty or camaraderie you hold with those companies (they're not just text on a piece of paper). Your decision to offset the heading colored background and the job information is also working out really well. I suppose my only critiques are with the blue stripy background (it looks busy behind the busy foreground... a bit too much to look at), and the icons you chose for interests (versus the black and white, simple, icons you chose for your contact information). I suggest placing a slightly darker background, like the color of the sky in the top photo of Wilson Hall, behind the foreground (to help bring the focus back on the content). I also suggest using simple black and white icons for your interests and skills ratings (to cut down on the colors and differing styles of icons). You can google free icons and find websites devoted to icon themes/kits. I used some for my web portfolio in a class last semester. Really easy to download and reuse as they were CC licensed. [http://rebeccarust.weebly.com/recent-work.html]

    Overall, great work! I really like the decisions you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of what Becca has to say. The grouping of information is nicely done and draws your eyes around the page. I too think that the logos (even the JMU) are almost too much color. The fact that two of your job logos are bw and JMU is color seems off to me. In addition, and it might be my adhd, but I find the very thin line between your boxes and the border distracting. It feels like the margins should be larger or not there at all and just bleed into the background. Either way, I get drawn to the thin layer of white. Overall, I think this is very appealing and would stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam. Nice idea to include images in the resume. I would drop the boxes/borders between the components. It's not necessary - your elements are distinct enough without them. Set the information free!

    ReplyDelete