Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Rust - Visual Resume

I created my visual resume with Resumup.com which ports information from either Facebook or LinkedIn, and then allows the user to alter the textual information, as well as some of the visual aspects of the document (like the identity ratings).

I liked the system, but found it somewhat buggy and restricting as a user. To spice up the template of my Resumup, I cropped my photo into a circle (instead of the normal square). 

I particularly like the right-side column which holds information for prospective employers. This website also has a "My Career Plan" tool, which helps define the user (me) for employers even more by stating where I they are vocationally, and where they would like to be. 

Here is the link to the online version, which allows a viewer to switch from visual to text versions of the resume (to help in deciphering any confusing visuals). Let me know if you don't understand something! I think I'll update the look on my own for a few things (like colors).




UPDATED FINAL:

5 comments:

  1. You'll have to excuse the poor image quality of the Resumup above. The Resumup.com tool allows a user to download their visual resume as a .pdf file, but not an image file; whereas Blogger only allows uploads of image files, not .pdf files. I included the link though, so if the quality bugs you, simply view the online version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! I think I'll have to do this and print out a bunch sometime, just to impress people. Having everything on one page is pretty nice. I love the look and you can understand everything very easily. It's all partitioned off in ways that make it both simple and fun to read. Sometimes a service is a really good way to go. Very professional looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is great looking. The way items are spaced is appealing and draws the eye to all the different areas. Without reading much, I feel as though I get a good sense of who you are as a person and professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca,

    Great job on your visual resume! it is very comprehensive and is aesthetically appeasing. It looks very professional and an employer would be very impressed.

    One thing I would say is that, because this was done on an online template, i didn't get to see your creativity and skills in actually creating visual media. I feel like that was one of the purposes of this project. With that being said, I would still use the resume you created on Resumup.com when sending it to an employer. Thank you for sharing that site, it make resumes look very clean, and I really like the graphs and tables in it too. I will definitely try this site out.

    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca,

    This looks great! I like the amount of information that you included- it is very informative! My only suggestion (if possible) would be to customize the design a little more, because this was created using an online template. It would be cool to see some logos for your experience and/or education- just a thought!

    ReplyDelete