Sunday, January 25, 2015

Amanda's Mindforge Poster

For my poster, I decided to use canva. I originally wanted to use pixlr because I've heard about it before, but my computer was not supporting it for whatever reason. The post by Amanda Leech mentioned canva with plenty of positive feedback so I thought I would give it a whirl. With that said, it was extremely user friendly! I've used photoshop a few times and usually get so easily frustrated with having to change the layers and for some reason I can never seem to figure it out. With canva, I could move my images & text, change the size, change the font and manipulate the items with what I felt like fewer steps than in Photoshop.

The first thing I did when creating my poster was to create margins and columns. After that I went on to pick my visual. I knew I wanted something math related as my main image and what better way to represent math than with numbers?! I decided to have my main picture be of playful, colorful numbers. I found this picture by doing a google search and once I saved it to my desktop, I uploaded it into canva. Once I uploaded the image, I stretched it out to cover the top of the poster from left to right. When I did that though it became a bit blurry. I then decided to contrast it to the extreme to see what would happen and that seemed to fix my blurriness problem as well as give my poster a more brighter and creative feel. I figured kids between 5-9yrs old respond well to the brightness and makes looking at numbers a little more fun. Because I did not need a cutline or a "caption" I decided to add a purple line underneath the image to separate the image from the headline to make it look neater.

Next I moved on to playing with fonts and text. Canva is nice because it gives you plenty of options to choose from when creating texts. After clicking on about all of the options, I finally decided to stick with two fonts; Fredoka One and Special Elite. I used two lines from the websites provided to us about the game and adding in the bubble text.

As I am writing this, I am realizing that the bubble with the question in it might have been better to put as the last thing on the right side of the page since that is the last thing the audience would be reading..I feel as though that that is more creative than the quote and might be what hooks the reader?I also decided to add a cow icon as sort of the logo for the computer game because it's not only super cute, but the audience may be able to infer who the character of the game will be.

Overall I had fun making this poster and learning about the Works-Every-Time Layout. It's really interesting how someone figured out what is most visually appealing to people as well as the best way to effectively communicate and relay information.

Images from:
http://www.firstpalette.com/Craft_themes/Alphabet_and_Numbers/Exploding_Numbers/Exploding_Numbers.html
https://shinnichika.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/baka.gif?w=468

1 comment:

  1. Amanda I think you did an excellent job on this poster. A small edit I would make is with the font: you might want to play around with fonts that match (ex. Arial and Arial Bold) to keep things consistent within your theme. Other than that I think it looks great.

    ReplyDelete