Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Jen's Poster Draft

I decided to do my poster on how to cook spaghetti squash.  I always forget what to set the oven at and how long to leave it in the oven.  So, I decided to create a poster that I could frame and hang in my kitchen that was decorative and informative.  I started off my choosing my color scheme.  I found that it was really hard to get the right color yellow for the spaghetti squash.  I used a new online tool that I found to help me with my color palette.  It's an online color wheel.  Very cool.  Here's the link.  Once I had my colors, I started drawing all of my graphics in Illustrator.  This was the most time consuming part.  But, I wanted them all to match and it gave me a good excuse to keep practicing my graphic design skills.  I made sure that all of my graphics were within the color scheme.  Next, I picked my fonts.  I decided to use a font family called "Charcuterie."  It just seemed to scream out "kitchen" and "cooking" to me.  I played around with arching the text around a big spaghetti squash at the top, but that ended up making my poster too long.  So, the only fancy thing that I did with the font is overlay the same words to give it the dual color effect.  For queueing I used numbers and colored them red to draw the eyes there.  I tried to alternate laying the steps out from left to right down the page.  I also tried to keep the steps very close to their pictured actions so that the proximity was good.  In terms of repetition, I used the same colors.  I used the same general shapes in the flourishes around the words.  And, I tried to keep all of the utensils going at roughly the same angles. The images in the poster are representational, interpretational, and when taken all together, organizational.  I was going to add a graphic at the bottom that compared the nutritional value of spaghetti squash to regular pasta, that would have been transformational, but it seemed that the poster was already getting long.  I welcome any feedback.  Thanks!






4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this! The colors you used compliment each other well and great artwork! I wish I could draw that that! My only suggestion would be to maybe separate the images for steps 1-3 because I had a hard time distinguishing which picture went with which step since they were so close together. Overall love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    I adore the color scheme and I think that the illustrations are so attractive to the eye. The only suggestion that I would give you is to make sure that the headings are all equally centered (if you look at prepare, cook, and eat, you can see that they are off very slightly). I would also increase the spacing in between some of the sections to increase the organization of the various sections. Overall, I think you did a beautiful job in organizing and putting all of the sections together!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coincidentally I am teaching a cooking class on Sunday about meal prepping and we just happen to be making spaghetti squash with avocado pesto this week. I'll definitely show this poster, with credit given of course. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors are a great fit! I like how you pulled the bold red font from the title to the bottom "enjoy!" Based on our last class, to give a better sense of balance and connectivity from direction-to-art, I suggest moving the 1, 3, and 5 to the other side of the text, so that number connects the directions with the corresponding art.

    I know you're worried about the length of your poster, but I would like to see a little more white space above/below your "prepare" "cook" and "eat" headings to make it more obvious that there are three sections.

    LOVE the font!!

    ReplyDelete