Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Kara's ROUGH draft

So, initially, I laid out a plan in Word, and then began creating the brochure in Photoshop. I'm not sure about the colors and I know there are some definite edits I need to make. I will gladly take any advice you guys can offer. I had to redesign my logo using a JMU approved font, so I used Futura for the majority of it. I also completely redesigned the hands to make it more of my own creation. I made the hands using Photoshop's cookie cutter tool and finished them up in Google Drawings.  I changed the coloring to a more silhouette type effect. I felt this was emphasizing the lessened importance of skin color, and the reaching up from the purple into the yellow symbolized coming out of the darkness and into the light (while also incorporating JMU colors). The 'coming into the light' helps to represent the organization's goal of making others aware and seeing what issues exist within this group but also in having society recognize this group as well. Anyway, I welcome your critiques!

                                          OUTSIDE
                                           INSIDE

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kara! Great colors!

    I have a few suggestions! The first being your image. I like the use of white space in you image! But it is disorienting because it's natural to read from left to right. So I read your bubble and then the one on the right. So I was confused until I went over there. I would consider switching your positions in the shot! I also think the reflection of your image works really well. However, when it's used on the "Join the convo" image, it sort of bleeds into the words.

    And on the outside I'm curious about the layout of the left and right flaps. Would it look better if you centered it between the top and bottom of the page? ie-for the text under your front page image, try centering the words between the logo and the JMU logo. I think it may be a better use of your space and will look a little more natural!

    And you'll have to bare with me on this because I'm not sure how it will look but with the size of your logo it become apparent that it is the only thing on the page that isn't centered. Maybe try and see what it would look like?

    Also when sticking with the CRAP model, I would recommend going with either left justified or centered for the entire document. If you chose to stick with your centered theme of the outside, I think it would look good to center the words under your image instead of having two columns of text!

    You have a solid start here! Hope my notes could help!
    I noticed your "ROUGH" haha, is there more you're looking to add to it from an information stand point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah -

      Thanks for your advice. I am currently working on refining it and incorporating your suggestions. I initially was unsure about the positioning of myself and Christy in my image because of how we read text (left to right), so I understood it was probably confusing. So I am changing that! I said it was rough because I just threw all of my ideas together in the form of this draft and recognized it wasn't as refined as I had hoped! Last week was just really crazy with comps, so I didn't get to spend as much time on the brochure draft as I had hoped I would. Thanks again for your recommendations!

      Delete