Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Jen's UI Rough Draft

I am working on creating my own portfolio is HTML/HTML5/CSS.  My hope is that I can use the portfolio as my final portfolio for the program, but then continue to use it in my professional life.  Therefore, I have designed things so that I can delete much of the "program/objectives" aspect of the portfolio fairly easy after graduation.  I kept the color scheme fairly simple and based off of my own logo and branding.  I have also tried to keep similar shapes (circles), fonts, and layout throughout for repetition.  On some of the pages I plan to use JQuery animations, so I tried to indicate that by showing one of the objects transformed.  I still have some work to do with picture cropping and finagling and figuring out how I want to layout the program objectives page and contact page.  In terms of the objectives, I want to include the objective, but also a fancy way to link to the artifacts that showcase those objectives.  I'm going to review some more JQuery options tonight.  Any suggestions on how to do that anyone else has would be great!  Here is my site map and pages thus far:








4 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    I can tell you are in the ed. tech program; your knowledge of creative uses for technology and webpage design skills are impressive. Unfortunately, I don't know much about JQuery, so I cannot really comment on your request for suggestions with that. I read about it briefly on wikipedia, and it sounds like something that would fit well with the work you've presented above.

    You mention that you have some work to do with picture cropping, so I was looking for somewhere I could make a suggestion about that. I assume you are talking about the portfolio page, and I also assume that all but one of the circles has a placeholder image. All of the other images on your pages are high quality, well positioned, and visually interesting. I especially like the landscape with your picture in the bottom center. Really nice design choice and contrast of gray with the eye-catching colors in your photo.

    I'm not sure if you plan on changing the images in the "latest projects" section. They might be improved by playing around with the cropping, although a thin corral outline might be the right finishing touch. I would definitely add that, since that is consistent throughout your design. I also really like the simple title in the bottom third of the circle, as you have on your portfolio page. Can you do that for the "latest projects" so that viewers have an idea of what they want to view in more detail? You will also be adding an icon to the "graphic design" circle, right?

    I also considered mentioning that you might want to shorten your bio, although I am hesitant because 1) it is SO well-written, 2) it is informative for potential employers, and 3) it is still short enough that it shouldn't require scrolling. I would say, however, that the resume links at the bottom are a bit confusing to me. I didn't know if one was just to view your visual resume and the other was to download it, or if the second one was for a separate document, like your traditional resume. Maybe you can do something to clarify that, or just use one button if it is indeed linking to the same document.

    Overall, I think you have very little revision to do! It looks awesome already. I love your logo, the repetition of shapes, and the color scheme. I also noticed that you included a miniature version of your logo in the center of the line separating your navigation bar from other page elements. At first I thought it was just a solid circle to add interest...you used it creatively in that way and increased the number of times your viewers see your personal branding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that was so long...I wanted to give you all the reflection that I could since you hadn't received any feedback, and the assignment is due soon. I got carried away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer! Your site looks awesome. I agree with Christy's feedback, but would also add that the text on your About Me page is pretty small and hard to read (I had to strain my eyes to read it). It may show up larger when you have it full sized, but from what I can see it's pretty small. Everything else is awesome- great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both so much for your feedback! All great suggestions! I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete