Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Christy's Website Draft

For this final project, I decided to continue with the theme I've been using throughout the semester--the Educational Leadership Program. The program director confirmed that he would appreciate a website that could provide more information than is typically offered on the JMU page. For the UI project, I designed an updated layout to provide the basic program information on the JMU site, in hopes that the editor of the COE websitecan incorporate these changes into the existing pages. I am creating a whole new site, using Wix, for this project. I plan to add a QR code to the poster, brochure, and UI layout that directs viewers to this more customized source of information, program news, and related documents.
Keep in mind that this is a very rough draft. I have used placeholder text for many components. My main concern is that I am creating all the images, but I want to ensure that the final product looks professional. I decided to create my images so that I keep a consistent set of images to match the graphic style of the logo, which is a central element to the site. I also don't have the opportunity to take actual photos, because the spring term has already ended for these students (that's cool, huh?).

Here is the link:
http://leamancr11.wix.com/edleadership

I've never used Wix before, and although I like it a lot, I am still trying to figure out how to change my web address. I don't want my gmail account (username for Wix) to be at the beginning! Anyone have any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Christy, I really like your website so far! It looks professional and has all the right information. I only have a few suggestions. First, the banner at the top seems to be dominating your page a bit. I'm wondering if there is any way that you can make is less wide? I think you could also make the purple logo bigger. Also, the background seems to be a little blurry. If you are looking for good, free website backgrounds, I've always had luck with www.subtlepatterns.com. On the cohorts page, I'm wondering if you can turn off the darkening of the image when you roll over it. It makes the image a little harder to read. I cannot wait to see your images. I think that your creating them will help add extra unity and harmony to your site. I know that you can purchase your own domain name and then link a Wix site to it. I've done this in the past and can certainly try to help if this is the route you go. Just let me know. Looks great, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, thank you for your feedback! The website you suggested for backgrounds is very helpful. I'm hoping my created images won't disappoint...they certainly don't compare to your awesome graphic novel cartoons. It's rather difficult to create images that look professional but also match the graphic style of my logo. Plus, the logo took a long time to create, and time is pretty limited right now. Anyway, thanks for reviewing my initial work!

      Delete