Sunday, February 5, 2012

Junk Mail - Renee's Web Activity 4

PAT= Principles, Actions, and Tools
This visual encourages the viewer to keep his/her home free of mail clutter with instructions on how to do this. Typically 80% of the mail we receive is junk, and 20% of the mail we receive needs some attention: a bill to pay, a letter or card to read, information to file. If the receiver sorts the mail on a daily basis, that horrible pile of mail on the dining room table will be eliminated. The design is very simple showing the two kinds of mail and what needs to be done with them. The arrows demonstrate the action that needs to happen with the different kinds of mail listed in each arrow. The visual even encourages the viewer to recycle the junk mail rather than simply throwing it into the garbage. The color scheme of blue and tan was used for continuity and easy viewing. The words "avoid clutter" are placed on top of a pile of mail clutter to demonstrate the goal of avoiding the mess. The only thing I think I should have found a way to do is demonstrate a clean table or surface without the mail clutter - but I'm not sure if that is necessary because the result is implied.

Images:
http://cdn6.fotosearch.com/bthumb/FSB/FSB435/x10708836.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrL5ubb8Erd9b_-iXEAvLLlF_PY8I96sCUM-fEPYW8d0PBLAw-sw
http://cdn5.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CSP/CSP364/k3646691.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBxEAUsMPgPX4Tm4gMO3OOtwtRgvxU-2rg7M-W7T0dgFzIHkSyNw

Renee Peterson

2 comments:

  1. I really like the concept you used Renee! It definitely applies to all and is something that I know I personally never think of because like you demonstrated, I do away with unnecessary mail! I think the color scheme you used was good, except I had a little bit of a hard time reading the white on the blue. It might be more helpful if the blue was darker? I think the cluttered pile was a good touch. I think adding the more cleaner or "filed" pile would be good, but only if you wanted to complement each side. For example, keeping the cluttered pile on the side where you recycle the 80% and then a more "clean" pile on the side where the 20% gets read. I only suggest this because I'm a visual learner and like to see the structure and organization of an image. However, I do think the image is still effective in demonstrating the 20/80 rule. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, I thought your overall idea for the visual was good, but found the white text on light blue hard to read. Also, it was hard to read the dark blue text over the pile of stuff.

    ReplyDelete