Sunday, February 5, 2012

Eric - Web Activity 4 "80/20"

Wow, I made 6 prototypes of all kinds of shapes and figures before I developed this one! I think sketching with pencil works great for the initial process. I chose to remake the sales example for the 80/20 rule. First, regarding the PAT principles, I selected the same basic functions of people figures and boxes indicating each area. I used 2 people as the 20% and 8 people for the 80% but also, I proportionally used the green boxes as the inverse 80/20 part for the principle.

 I tried to make this visual better than the proposed example by turning the visual layout vertically rather than horizontally as the original has. This helps to show more of a contrast in amount of sales compared to each other when scaled vertically. I think it is easier to see as 'towers' rather than in rows. I also was thinking about the Actions part of PAT and I addressed the contrast more so than the original visual by making the sales area green (money). Looking at the Lohr text, I saw since green is a cool color then, I should also contrast it with a warmer color, so I chose orange. Also, I used lighter people figures to contrast the orange helping them to stand out more. Using the repetition concept, I made them all the same size for each side so as to indicate normalcy in both sides of the graphic.

I think of this shape as vertically measuring sales and amounts of people on a graph so I used columns to illustrate this which I think helps to better illustrate the 80/20 rule better than the original. Both columns are also equal in height because the 80/20 rule is showing the differences in proportion and the inverse and everything equates to being 100%.

Stick figure image taken from: http://www.clker.com/cliparts/r/t/T/2/B/0/gray-stick-figure-md.png

2 comments:

  1. Eric, your solution to the problem is really nice. The colors and juxtaposition of shapes work well. I thought your bar on the left could use a few more dollar signs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! Ok, I really wrestled with the dollar signs and put them in and then took them out because I thought it might detract from the picture and become cluttered. But, I think maybe I'll try adding in just a few more to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete