Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Rust; Logo Draft- Updated with Final

For my logo project I am working on the newly designed Ice House in downtown Harrisonburg, Virginia. This historic building had a long run as the Cassco Ice House, but has been uninhabited for quite some time. Recently JMU, HDR, Matchbox Realty, and various other organizations decided to revamp the space to be a modern community collective. The space is still being decided upon (to install aquaponics or not install aquaponics, that is the question...).




I unfortunately have not gotten in touch with any of the stakeholders of this new organization, so I resorted to Googling articles written about the building, and what sort of ideas the inhabitants had in mind. In this way, I came upon my logo of the honeycombs.


The Ice House is slated to be a gathering space for residents, commercial businesses, community organizations, and more. The idea of creating a 'hive' was originally from a JMU Industrial Design student's work for building furniture for the space.


I was also drawn to the builder's concept of chunking the building into color-coded sections, as seen in these screenshots of their design document:



And so the draft logo I created is simple, but clear, with the idea of being used as a sign for the physical building, or even in print:

UPDATE:
Given the feedback, I decided to stick with the hive look, but was interested in utilizing the shapes in other ways. I had a lot of ideas, but none that I could build upon as the choice to use them were solely mine. I would love to get input from the Ice House collective regarding their desired branding. 

Here are some more ideas I went through:




Before I finally settled on this altered font (widened, with a rounder C), as the foundation of the logo:

And then, to stick with the original hive idea, and with the added peer review feedback ideas, I came up with this:






5 comments:

  1. I'm digging it. It's not really expected, especially with a name like Ice House. I think you could play around with the font a bit more but I like how the thin font fits with the thin outlines of the honeycomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca,
    I really like it! I think it's really neat that you researched it and found the information on the furniture and building concept and matched the logo to that. Am wondering if the muted colors on the "hive" might get lost if the logo was made too much larger, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly expected to see an igloo or something. From my understanding of the groups moving in, there are several different groups that don't current work in the same location but they all work with our community to reach out and provide a connection between the community and JMU. I think your honeycomb approach is a great reflection of small parts that are combined to created a greater whole. Great job! The one thing I might do is to see what it looks like to add another piece under the blue one to see if it would look less isolated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The honeycomb shape with the pale colors give a cool feel, which I really like. Agree with Katie that a thin font would look best and carry this theme. This font is ok, but I don't think it really adds to what you are trying to create.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all the feedback!

    ReplyDelete