Sunday, February 9, 2014

Katie Thomas - Creating Symbols


Haha, of course, I would try "dog" for my symbols exercise. This was interesting because as some information was stripped away, the silhouette would beg for something extra or different. For instance, as I worked on the image-related symbol, I added a raised front leg to give it more depth and it still read nicely as a dog. For the concept-related image, I changed the shape of the ear so it became much more recognizable on the dog's head. The arbitrary symbol has been reduced to the head with ears. However, this is still rather representative of the image of a dog. I feel like the arbitrary symbol still needs to be pushed a few more iterations until it truly becomes arbitrary. It's proven to be the most difficult to create. 

1 comment:

  1. If you had done anything other than dogs that would just be weird. These are great. I like raised leg. It reads like a dog ready to move on something.

    ReplyDelete