Friday, January 27, 2012

Web Activity 1: Effective Images

I apologize this is late, I joined the class late.

While I was searching for examples of universal instructional design that addresses performance, I came across many examples that apply to real life situations. I noticed how frequently we rely on visual representations and design for instruction with everyday actions. For example, there are visual demonstrations for how a child must sit safely in a shopping cart or how to use a fitness machine at the gym. I was searching for a example that no one in the class had discussed yet and then I remembered I time I had relayed on universal design for instruction when I was trying to figure out the settings on my new camera. I read the instruction book from the cover to the last page and it was full of representations and diagrams explaining the camera. I found it very helpful because there was an actual picture of the camera or the part of the camera that was being explained, so it was easy to understand. The representations also included lines pointing directly to the settings being explained. Most of the symbols for cameras are universal, but this was my first camera that included Manual and Automatic settings, and I found the instructions very helpful and easy to understand.





1 comment:

  1. I love this idea, Sarah! I had not considered the visual aids on cameras and such, especially how heavily we rely on them after reading the manual and creating the connection between the pictures and functions. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete