Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Kara's Main Post: C.R.A.P. Principles of Design

So awhile ago, I was in the Belk here in Harrisonburg, and I came across an instructional poster. Immediately I thought about this class and began critiquing the visual. In doing so, I thought about what a great post this would make! Below is the photo I took of the poster. I enhanced the brightness a bit so you could read it better.



I thought it would be interesting to show you all and get your opinions on the poster and how well they incorporated the four principles of sound design - Contrast, Repetition, Alignment, and Proximity. If you need a refresher, I found a great article/presentation on the different principles of design: C.R.A.P. Principles of Design  

I personally am not sure how I feel about the numbering and and placement of the captions. I also feel that it looks to be a little bit crowded. Maybe more white space is needed? I think if the designer had focused more on proximity and knowing that grouping things closely together creates the idea that they are related, he/she may have separated the different captions and images of the shirts/bow tie a little more. I know it's also a minor detail, but the line on number 6 is not centered with the box like the other lines are. I also think it's odd that number four has no line when the others do.

What are your thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. Kara,
    I agree with your initial assessment. It seems strange that the numbering keeps switching back and forth from the left to right side of the text. I also think that because the shirt pictures are so close together, the individual steps get a little lost. One of the ways that they might have been able to draw more attention to each step is by changing the color of the numbers. Maybe a red to match the tie? I do think that the pictures are good. I just wish there was more space or delineation between them. Fun post!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jen! I completely agree! I was a little lost too with the numbers/steps and the images they went along with! Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete