Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Storyboarding in Education

One of the hardest things I have found teaching is getting students to plan ahead before acting.  Once they write something, they want that to be the final draft and its perfect, right?  Well, I found this article about using storyboarding to outline and visualize or convey a process.  It goes through the history of storyboards and then how teachers and students can use them.

http://www.opencolleges.edu.au/informed/teacher-resources/using-storyboards-in-education/

I really liked that they stressed this is just the planning phase.  You can illustrate what you are thinking and then maybe move some frames around or see what needs more detail.  They even give some terms and tips that can help you connect this across other fields!

The authors also said that this can be used by teachers to help students visualize complex ideas, like life science or computer technology.  I have found myself looking on YouTube for the perfect video to show my students and there's always something I wish I could change about it.  There are many programs (also included in the article) that make storyboarding easier and I will definitely try this out next time!


Also, if you have some free time, explore that website!  They have some cool infographics, articles, and even lesson plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment