Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Goldfish - Renee's Web Activity 3

As my brain processed the Information Processing Theory and Baddeley's Episodic Buffer, I kept picturing a goldfish. I have a few - and they won't die! I thought about the way children usually respond to having a goldfish for the first time. They feed the one poor fish the entire can of fish food and then forget all about it. That little fish usually ends up flushed to the sewer. This is similar to the Information Processing Theory. If we get overloaded with information, our brains are not able to separate the extraneous information from the germane; we take in everything all at once and remember nothing. Baddeley's Episodic Buffer Theory encourages us to use several forms of information that work together - text, visual/picture, and sound - as our brain buffers among the forms and creates meaning as they work together, it will transfer the combination into long-term memory. Another aspect of Baddeley's theory is the rehearsal process. The more the information is rehearsed in our brains, the longer we will remember it. I hope I have not over-simplified a very complex process... but I know I will remember it!

1 comment:

  1. The fish analogy is an interesting one. I would have never thought of it.

    ReplyDelete