Saturday, January 14, 2012

Accessibility through visuals- Web Activity 1

While I was further researching Universal Design, I came across many articles and books that all emphasized how visuals can make resources accessible to every one. They can be used with or without text, but either way the visual helps everyone gain understanding. While reading this, I couldn't help but think of my mom. I was recently talking to her on the phone and she was expressing her desire to get stronger and work out more. Her fear was that she had never learned how to use the weight machines at the gym and she did not want to embarrass herself. I tried to explain to her that there are plenty of machines that are "self explanatory," and even have easy to understand directions.
I understand her concern because I remember walking into JMU's gym my freshman year of college where most of the free weights were located. It's intimidating when you don't know techniques and specific work outs. However, I think the weight machines make working out more accessible for everyone. They are easier to understand just by the look of them. The machines make it clear where you sit, how to adjust the weight, where to put your hands/feet, and how to move. On top of this, there are directions on each machine to further explain. The first picture I posted is of a room with bench presses and free weights. This visual for someone who is knew to working out would be confusing. The second picture I posted is of a weight machine. This machine is much easier to understand just by the way the machine is designed.

1 comment:

  1. I have just recently begun "working out" with weights of any type. My first time going through the gym, I was an obvious newbie because I was reading all of the directions on the machines! Some were explained better than others, but for the most part I could figure it out. I just needed not to care that I looked totally "uncool" reading all of the directions and looking at the instructional pictures! ;-)

    ReplyDelete