Friday, January 13, 2012

Activity One: Effective Images

In searching for an effective image, I came across a smart phone. The phone put me in mind of my mother's first encounter with her new phone, she was unsure of how to unlock the screen as there were no on screen directions. Unlike the iPhone, the Windows 7 phone (both pictured below) does not indicate how to unlock a locked screen. This sparked an interest in me simply because we use cell phones on a regular basis, and until my mother's interaction, it had not occurred to me how user-friendly Apple has made the lock screens on their devices. The Apple devices have a bar, and arrow, and the words "slide to unlock" highlighted by a flash of light traveling in the direction which you should slide. The Windows devices have a large screen, with a lovely background of your choice, and no indication of how to get past the background (with further exploration it is discovered that "lifting" the background with an upward motion reveals the home screen). While both screens are appealing to the eye, I find it interesting how often we take small visual cues for granted, this is something that Apple clearly took into account.

Windows 7 Phone




Apple iPhone 4s (personal image)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comparison, Saadia! Of course the Apple product is more user friendly! I am a recent Apple convert and believe in their products ;-). When I got my first iPhone, I was able to maneuver through the apps and functions very easily, although I did need to learn how to turn the iPhone OFF!

    ReplyDelete