Friday, March 6, 2015

Cameras in the classroom

I would also like to apologize for this being late. This week has been crazy busy and odd with the snow days, but here is my main post! 

At the link http://www.nypress.com/local-news/20150304/cameras-in-the-classroom it talks about elementary year old students getting the opportunity to use a more visual means of communicating by introducing them to filmmaking. I find it interesting that we hear about a lot of schools taking away art and music classes and yet this school is doing just the opposite, which is amazing. 

The article states that, “Traditionally school is very academic, and a lot of them don’t always get a chance to show their strengths. I saw different students shine.”

I find it so cool that every student has a different strength and so when I'm a teacher I would love to incorporate many means for a student to communicate and broadcast his/her strength. 

It also says, “Giving kids a visual medium, one they’re already so familiar and adept with, we’re saying this is valid, too.” Not all students learn the same way and so giving them multiple opportunities and chances to express themselves make everyone on a more equal playing field. 

1 comment:

  1. I think this program is awesome! I think that it is important that students learn to express themselves in a visual manner. I know that I really enjoyed having access to digital cameras in my classroom. While I didn't teach art, I found that incorporating artistic avenues (like photography) for showcasing science helped to better include all my students in our assignments and class activities.

    ReplyDelete