Sunday, March 25, 2012

ClassDojo


I some how completely missed my blog date, which I am VERY sorry for!!  Here is a great resource to use. 

Recently the behavior of my students has become “out of control” or maybe it is “spring fever”.  I teach inner city first grade students. I deal with a great deal of fights, inappropriate language, stealing, overall disrespect, and lying.  Now, don’t get me wrong – I have some really golden students who aim to please.  In the past month, I dreaded walking into school everyday.  Like the wake up in the morning questioning, “Am I sick?  Do I have a fever?  A migraine?  Anything?”  Nope, I needed to head on into school because I was fighting a case of “schoolitous”.  It was all because of behavior and I felt as though I had let my ship sink.  One of my coworkers introduced me to ClassDojo and it has changed my students behavior.  This is an online behavior management system. 

You begin by entering in all student names, then each student has an avatar beside their name.  Students earn positive points for behavior that I have entered into the system (completing work, staying in seat, raising hand, working quietly) – you can change the behaviors to what works with your class.  Students get points taken away for negative behaviors (out of seat, blurting out, touching others).  Again you can change the behaviors.  Now the cool factor is that I can sync my computer and iPad to this system and project it on the screen all day.  When students earn a positive point, I add it on the iPad, students see if pop up on the screen and hear a lovely, “ding” sound.  When students are experiencing problems, I take the point away and you hear a “bong” sound.  My students have transformed into well behaved students with this program.  They look at the screen to see who earned a point, or if a point was taken away.  Students also see why the point was taken away and I quickly add a point when they have changed their behavior.  I have an accountability factor in that students must have 6 points to go to recess on time.  For every point they have over 6 they go early to recess.  Students record their points on a tally chart for parents to sign off nightly on. 

I am in LOVE with ClassDojo and my students are doing really well with it!!  Go check out www.classdojo.com .   Here is a great article on ClassDojo http://theappplanet.com/class-dojo/
   

6 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting tactic. Reading this, I was thinking of my experience in Miami in an inner city middle school. I am trying to imagine if this could potentially work. One problem for sure is the technology aspect. There were no projectors, internet in classrooms, or media methods that could used in the classroom. Another hurdle would be the students themselves. I taught 7th grade, which meant I would have some students that were supposed to be in 7th grade, while others that were supposed to be freshman or sophomores in high school at that point. Im not sure that system exactly would work on a 15 year old. However, there may be a way to adapt a system like that and make it useful for different types of age groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan - this is incredible! I love this! It seems to be that this program is working for your students and I'm glad to read that it caught on so quickly in a positive manner. Providing students a goal, no matter what age, I think is extremely beneficial for all parties. I hope this maintains to be helpful. Do you think at any point the kids might grow "out" of it so to speak? Do you plan on implementing more incentives as the year progresses, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan, this program seems really great! I am taking the e-learning design course for the AHRD program this semester, and we are designing courseware for JMU students that are going to be teaching assistants abroad in Italy next semester--the section I am in charge of is classroom management strategies! They do not have constant access to the Internet there, so I searched multiple websites for strategies, and came across this one for middle school teachers: http://www.language-arts-teaching-expert.com/classroom-management-strategies.html

    I really liked where it talks about positive reinforcement for students, and discipline plans for "repeat offenders". ClassDojo seems like a great way to implement these strategies with the way we use technology in the U.S.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Morgan - Kalen from ClassDojo here. Thanks so much for the kind words - we really appreciate the support! So happy to hear it's working in your classroom. We should connect sometime - would love to hear your thoughts and maybe see how we can feature your story on our ClassDojo blog!

    To anyone else who comes across this blog post - let us know if you have any questions or need help getting set up! - hello@classdojo.com :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgan....the Dojo lady found you!!! It's like you are FAMOUS!!! haha! This is an excellent resource...thanks for sharing. I agree with you 100% about trying to find any reason to stay home lately! My kids are off the chains as well. I spend about 50% of my day putting out silly arguments. I think it's spring fever..I recently got an iPad in my classroom and I think implementing this system into my classroom might just be the ticket...thanks for sharing!!

    Can't wait to look into it some more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that?! That sounds like a good reinforcement tool as well as involves the students so they can actually see it for themselves. I am sure they get a kick out of it. Technology that we have today just amazes me constantly. This sounds like a great implementation!

    ReplyDelete