Sunday, January 15, 2012

Web Activity 1

My brother and I loved playing with legos when we were kids. Our favorites to build were M:Tron, Blacktron, and Space Police. My brother liked the M-Tron ships, so I, by default, adopted Blacktron as "mine." My favorite ship was the Aerial Intruder:

http://letsbuilditagain.com/instructions/6981/

I thought of this while looking for examples of universal design. The directions to build the Aerial Intruder are clear and easy to follow. Each step only adds a few new pieces so as to not be too overwhelming for a 9 or 10-year-old. It's not possible to tell from the online instructions, but each series of steps has a checklist of pieces you'll need. If you get to the end and have pieces left over then there's a problem.

Since this particular example is designed for young kids, the directions are relatively simple. When building more complex lego kits the need for clear design is even more important. Pieces are organized according to size, shape, type, and color among others. Poor design can lead to frustration, inability to finish building the legos, and a potential drop in sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment