Sunday, February 1, 2015

Visual Literacy in a Google Search

During a recent Google search I found that images were being shown in thumbnail form just a few links down from the top link.   Knowing that Google doesn't just post thumbnails for no good reason, the company typically likes a clean look with little to no distractions (such as images), I tried to figure out why the company is placing thumbnails in it's search.  I found a small article related to eye tracking studies that might explain it.

Why are the image thumbs the 2nd link?


The basic idea is that viewers analyze a page very quickly and make decisions unconsciously.   Western readers typically follow a top down left to right pattern.  In doing so they hit the first link in a search very quickly and move on to the second and third link while almost never reading all the way to the end of the page.  Adding an image in that region that is heavily scanned helps to be more efficient in the process of finding the information a viewer is seeking.

I am still not certain why images appear several links down, although my best guess is that they may not be as relevant as top links or they might not be as featured because of content funding (links that have funding behind them to make them show up higher on the list).  Have a look at the full article here: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/eye-tracking-studies-more-than-meets.html

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. I, myself, had wondered why Google had began putting thumbnail images on the search results page under certain links. Initially, I found it annoying, but I also recognize that it is also the first thing I look at. So, I have to give Google credit - it's very clever. To me, this also emphasizes the importance behind image/visual placement on a page, poster, website, etc. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how thumbnails being posted would draw the eye. But the big question is why they would put them there in the first place. I know from personal experience, I appreciate when I google an actor, a movie, a noun of some sort, I like being able to see a visual image connection.

    ReplyDelete