Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Appying Design Principles, Actions, and Tools

I have been looking for examples of good design to augment the examples in your text books. While searching for examples, I came across a few websites that I thought may really help you design your own projects this semester. Of particular note, though, was that I have found few, if any, websites with examples of good instructional design. Most of the websites have dealt with graphic design only. Therefore, my challenge to you is to seek out websites containing good examples of instructional design so we can build a blog on this topic. I think this would help other instructional designers and draw some attention to the work we are doing here in the AHRD and Ed Tech Master's programs at JMU. Here are the links I would like you to check out:

 

3 comments:

  1. When quickly browsing through the websites listed here (don't worry I will go back and take my time in them :) ), I remembered finding an Instructional Design blog when looking for HR resources last semester for the Introduction class. Just wanted to post it so everyone could check it out. It is mostly about E-learning but it does discuss instructional design too. Allison you should check out the post on Jan. 30th - it's about social media.

    Enjoy - http://blog.integratedlearningservices.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through the posted websites just to notice the emphasis being placed on the action tools we are learning in this class. Stuff like typography, white space, icons, and visuals are heavily utilized in the examples used. Actually, I liked the portfolio website because it was interesting for me to try to figure people out just by looking at the visuals they chose to represent them. Following Dr. Wilcox advice, I was looking for blogs and websites that deals with instructional design and its relation to visual literacy. Luckily, I found two website that are supposed to be the official blogs for our textbook writer Connie Malamed. Those websites are dealing with the use of visuals and graphics to improve learning and training. The blogs are
    • http://theelearningcoach.com/
    • http://understandinggraphics.com/

    I also found a websites that is directly related to visual literacy in school settings. This blogs is oriented toward k-8 class;
    • http://k-8visual.info/

    Finally, there is this blog that has some of both graphic and instructional design. I thought it was worth looking at:
    • http://multimedialearning.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, thanks for the links. I like the blog about visual literacy in school setting. I found an interesting part of the blog regarding using visual literacy across curriculum. As a math teacher, I am interested in using visual literacy in the math classroom.

    ReplyDelete