Monday, March 14, 2011

10 Tips for Creating Mind-Blowing Freelance Logo Designs


I was looking for tips on how to create an outstanding logo that captures the essence of my client. While doing that, I came across this article which has 10 Tips for Creating Mind-Blowing Freelance Logo Designs .  This article provides the following tips:

  1. Break the rules.
  2. Always opt for clean and captivating concepts.
  3. Promote a positive image and idea.
  4. Create multi-browser compatible logo.
  5. Look for inspiration from leading sites.
  6. Always save completed logo on PSD or other editable format.
  7. Concentrate on color schemes and patterns.
  8. Concentrate on client requirements.
  9. Try to avoid cheap stock images.
  10. Be broadminded.
The article also provides 10 useful logo design tutorials which I found to be helpful in identifying some of the features in different softwares and how to best utilize them. The different features such as color schemes and affects are discussed. 

What are your thoughts regarding the tips given in this blog? and do you see resemblance between them and what we do in class regarding the tree principles of selection, organization, and integration?           
  

5 comments:

  1. Good Post Sue! I have also started thinking about the Logo assignment, and I agree with the principles listed in your article. I think simplicity is very important with a Logo. You want to be able to put the logo on all of the marketing materials but not take away from the materials. The logo should be recognizable but not distract the viewer from the content of the poster, brochure, etc.

    One thing that I question within the logo article is the use of some of the logos in the design tutorial section. I feel like some of the more "crazy" logos (Numbers 4 and 5 for example) using the 3-D effect and more in-depth backgrounds cause the logo to become too complex. Would these logos be practical to put on posters that could only be printed in Black and White? These logos would look great in digital form (in my opinion) but I am not sold on using these with all distribution options. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Monica; simplicity is a very important principle in designing a logo. Complex logos such as number 4 and 5 will not work well to make it memorable. And As Monica said, these logo would look great in a digital form, but it will not look great in a printed form. The complexity makes a logo become limited to be used or published.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are some good guidelines for creating logos, especially for those new to design. A couple of things I would add is first a logo should be able to stand alone. What I mean by that is for example the Nike swoosh is simple and distinct and you really don't need to see the company name or any other imagery to go along with it. Another thing to think about even beyond just digital versus print is all types of ways the logo may be reproduced. Some ways to think about are embroidered, screen printed or vinyl cut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually thought that one of the greatest suggestions from Sue’s post was to find inspiration on leading sites. I have even found that looking at any other graphic design (whether good or bad) helps to inform my work. I think I learn best when I can see examples that can serve as a starting place for me to begin imagining new things. One of my favorite places to draw inspiration from, in terms of graphic design, is Apple’s App Store. The people who design the logos for all the different applications offered in the App Store are genius. They find some of the most creative ways to convey the idea of their product one small conceptual image.

    If you are ever stuck on a project and do not know how to proceed, look at the work of others. Some of the things designers do with just the letters of a product are inspiring. For example, the “CRAFT” image from the article Sue posted is very cool, and it is just a name with a very interesting effect. I never would have thought about manipulating the text of a word to look that way until I was inspired by that great example!

    ReplyDelete