Friday, March 9, 2012

How Apple Does It



For this week’s blog post I decided to focus on the trends and ways in which Apple has revolutionized an entire industry. One of the most notable things about Apple is its unusual way of doing business. Unlike other high-tech firms, Apple chooses to focus on multiple sectors of the high-tech industry. In an article recently published, the author notes that:




"Apple makes its own hardware (iBooks and iMacs), it makes the operating system that runs on that hardware (Mac OS X), and it makes programs that run on that operating system (iTunes, iMovie, Safari Web browser, etc.). It also makes the consumer-electronics devices that connect to all those things (the rapidly multiplying iPod family), and it runs the online service that furnishes content to those devices (iTunes Music Store).”


Because Apple makes its own hardware and software, there exists a sense of full control of its products. Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, feel that maintaining control is crucial to the organizations success. Dell, Microsoft, and other competitors, create products that can be access and used on other systems brands, Apple feels that by controlling all aspects of its product, they can ensure that every little thing integrates and works together. The one thing that most Apple product users agree on is its ease-of-use. I know from personal experience, once I purchased my first Apple product, I felt the sense of not being able to live without it. Now that I have expressed a brief understanding of the way in which Apple’s CEO, Steve Jobs, has structured the organization, my next point deals with the releasing of new version s of existing products and services.



The image on the left shows the various products Apple has release over the last three decades. Although other product releases are of significant impact, I would like for you to focus on the period from 2001 to the present.




Apple General Timeline or Product Releases


2001 marked the release of the iPod and the OS X operating system,


2004 the iMac G5


2005 the iPod Nano,


2006 the iMac & Macbook Pro


2007 the first iPhone and Apple TV


2008 App Store


2009 revamp the iPhone to include video calling, iPod line of Nanos, iPod Touch,


2010 Macbook Air, iLife, Facetime, iPad


2011 iCloud, Mac OS X Lion iPad2


2012 iPad 3…



As you look through the various product upgrades and releases Apple has done, I begin to wonder how much of it is a “marketing scheme” or actually new and improved devices. The iPod touch, once only used for music, now comes with a camera, although the iPhone camera technology existed prior to the new upgrade. The iPad did not originally come with a camera. The iPad progressed from no camera in version 1, back camera in 2, and not the back and front facing camera in the most recent version. The iPhone 4 has front and back camera unlike the iPhone 3, however the iPhone 4S has the newly added feature of Siri. What are you opinions on the upgrades and new releases of Apple?


Thoughts!!!




  1. Do you think instead of releasing a new product or upgrade every 6 months, Apple could possibly combine all “upgrades” and “new features” into one?


  2. Is this merely a way to keep users coming back and purchasing the next best NEW Apple product?


  3. Do you think Apple upgrads and new features are truley "new and improved" versions of their existing products?

Source:



http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1118384-1,00.html



http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/02/us-apple-timeline-idUSTRE72170T20110302

8 comments:

  1. From a design standpoint, Apple does many great things. Really, they are fantastic innovators and not so much inventors of the technologies. What they do, they do very well. I think the release schedule for Apple is appropriate and considering the reputation of their quality of products, once can still enjoy most of the benefits of the original iphone as compared to the latest generation. I don't really see this as some sort of scheme for Apple to try and get us to to purchase their products constantly but rather more consistently when needed. To answer the final question about iterations of their products, I really do think Apple makes significant changes to every release of a product, otherwise what's the point of releasing a new product. The consumer expects some sort of improvement and Apple seems to make these iterations as beneficial as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as the upgrades are concerned, I think the balance between upgrades and releases are well done. As a user of apple products, I like how upgrades are easy to use, and keep many of their products from going obsolete in a few 'seasons'. Where as the new releases usually offer such a different experience that gain new and current apple consumer's attention. With this pattern, they keep consumers excited by offering a great product, not by tricking you into consistent purchases. They keep products current, as I have an ipod from like 2005, an imac from 2005, and a macbook from 2010, all that still work great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Bradford and Eric. I think Apple does what it needs to stay current and stay consistently in the media spotlight while their slightly older products remain usable. My iPod touch from 2008 keeps me and my children occupied and I don't feel the need for a camera.

    My daughter, however, got a newer iPod touch as she wanted to take pictures, film video, text and talk. I have installed apps on her iPod to allow her to text and talk while in a hot spot.

    I also feel that the iPod's ability to have me lock out certain features like iTunes purchases in combination with using a DNS service like Open DNS, I have sufficient control and monitoring of a 10-year-old's device.

    My wife, who travels a lot internationally, now just takes her iPad with her rather than her PC laptop. She has apps installed to allow her to create a VPN with her work server and grab and edit docs.

    She also has an app called OnLive Desktop which allows her to run a PC on a server that is controlled by your iPad and do anything one can do on a PC on an iPad. Streaming Flash on your iPad? You bet. She can run OnLive and stream Flash video on the proxy server and the video is fed to the iPad. Not the best resolution but it works.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm an Apple obsessive user. I love how creative, innovative, and easy their products are to use. I wouldn't think to buy any other computer besides a Mac. I wanted to iPhone, just as millions of others did and I absolutely love all that my phone does. I have had an iPod since I can remember. I'm impressed with what Apple offers its customers. It is definitely an innovator in technology.

    I agree that Apple keeps up with the times and trends of society with their release of new products and upgrade capabilities. Like Brad N., I love that my phone has options for upgrades and I don't have to go searching for them. I think Apple has wonderful advertising too (since we are in a visual literacy class). I'm sold.

    I have not given in on getting an iPad yet. Mostly because I don't want to neglect my computer. I also was hesitant when getting the iPhone because now I tend to neglect my iPod when I go on runs. Does anyone else feel like their electronics are competing one another?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love apple products as well but i do have to say that sometimes I feel a little cheated when I run out to get the newest device and a year later it is old news. But like Eric and Brad had mentioned earlier their products have an amazing reputation and are long lasting. I have had some of their products for over five years and they still work as good as new. However, I think that it might be worth mentioning how their products have given a new meaning to keeping up with the Joneses. I know plenty of people that run out as soon as a new product is released, leaving their perfectly good and older technology in the dust. This is something that people may want to think about in an effort to help our environment in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a huge apple "user", but do think their products are innovative and useful. Kendra, the only apple product in our home is our iPads, so there is really no competition. I still use my Dell laptop and my sprint HTC phone. They all have different purposes.

    Brad J. I think Apple should release new products as often as they are. The consumer is not forced to purchase it, but someone who is new the that product line can start off with the latest product. That is a great way the keep new customers, and maintain the loyalty of previous customers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how simple it is to use Apple. Instead of wading through all the available PC options I just get a mac. Instead of investigating the plethora of Samsung, LG, and HTC phones I just get an iPhone. It's also nice having frequent, low cost updates such as paying $30 to upgrade from the Snow Leopard to Lion operating system and feeling like I've got top of the line stuff without constantly evaluating every new product that comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be the first to admit that I love apple products! I love the interface and the functionality off of minimal buttons and such. Now I have been frustrated with apple and all of their upgrades. For example when I got my iPhone last February the new iPhone color in white came out about 2 weeks later. It was annoying because I just got the phone.
    I definitely think these multiple upgrades a year is a ploy to get people to buy the latest and greatest, but I'm not knocking it it is pretty genius when you think about it from a business standpoint especially when your products do so well.

    ReplyDelete