Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Information Visualized

Since I was the last in the blog post list I wanted to find something to post about that would be a summation of the course. So as I thought about our semester using visuals to help learners I wanted to find something of interest that would emphasize this. I love TED talks so I immediate went there to look and found the following talk. David McCandless takes massive amounts of data and by using visuals creates easily understood graphics and charts. I think it really shows just how much information can be expressed through visuals allowing us to understand complex data. My question for our class is, after this course do you have a greater appreciation of just how much can be expressed and simplified by the use of visual communication?


David McCandless: The beauty of data visualization

3 comments:

  1. Nice way to end the semester; Thanks Mike! Your video reminds me of the first time I saw the picture out of Malamed book that is called An Emergent Mosaic of Wikipedian Activity. I guess I was astonished because it showed me in a simple way how to have complicated and rich data visually represented without overwhelming the audience. Actually, I remember one day I came into a nice blog that is dedicated for showing how to make complex data simple. It is called Simple Complexity: Making Simple Sense From Complex Data.

    I tried to post some pictures but for some reason I couldn't so here is the link
    http://simplecomplexity.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike for posting this video! I loved the Facebook status graph. It was also fun to see the many ways he would present information. As we have learned, visuals are much more fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Mike!

    I watched this video in two of my classes last semester: research methode, and data and visualization class. Fortunately, I watch it again this semester. It really convinces me how important visualization is. I really like a quote from this video: " Data is the new soil, it is a very fertilize medium. And visualization is a flower of this medium". This presentation shows us the beauty of visualization.

    ReplyDelete