Monday, April 5, 2010

International Wayfinding

First off, apologies for the late post. I was absolutely convinced that next week was my week! Comps is destroying my mind! :)

Over the course of this semester, I've been introduced to the concept of wayfinding. David Gibson, author of The Wayfinding Handbook: Information Design for Public Places, defines wayfinding roughly as the process that people undergo when they're navigating public places, basically to find their way...a system of using various implicit & explicit cues in the environment to help people find destinations. Wayfinding projects can be a simple, single landmark or feature sign, or complex systems of signage and maps for a hospital complex, university campus, or an entire municipality. According to Gibson, "an effective wayfinding program can easily balance the needs of the different constituencies, supporting and enabling a positive experience" (18). 1

Often, we don't notice an effective system, but we definitely notice an ineffective one! Ever tried to find the restroom in a foreign country? Fifteen years ago, I went on a class trip to Europe. After several weeks of cunfusion and bumbling, tourist-like behavior, I was thrilled to arrive on the United Kingdom leg of our trip. Finally! I could speak the language! Navigation was going to be a snap. But what on earth did all those "W.C." signs mean?...

it's gotten better. I was in the U.K. again over Christmas this year, and the trend seems to have moved to more iconic representations. Still not the same as here in the U.S., but at least recognizable.

I recently listened to a podcast with Gibson about his book, and the question came up about the effect of globalization on wayfinding. 2 Different cultures have different meanings for colors, symbols, and framework of information display. Whithin our own culture, there is a movement to eliminate displays of "sexism" in communication, so forget your pink vs. blue, or skirt vs. pants signage.

What methods can a designer use to create systmes for a culture that they are not familiar with, or for an international audience?

And just for fun, a few examples of interpretations of important signage:
http://sensemaya.org/files/toilet_signs_57_3.jpg

http://uummeaw.exteen.com/images/2007/final.jpg

http://forum.gaijinpot.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3366&stc=1&d=1163418798

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhhoLqSRBJuvVezdWvnj5Q8Cv8b6df1Vxr7eBtzc4jO31njURGaJ3eMldDrrT9Piop5nKzW38OwfnEu9nOQeBwYkn_JHMv39y1_FQ1Told9J5nBSwcZH3OnBdiZGPNTmr2MpwThfT-N6PM4/s1600-h/toilet_signs_43.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiB3rxObNMSdqPxwdrgQkR5n6HG0CazzxLaT61I9kc4wEaRY6EGmsWcYYOuZdWkDgbyE1unYR3FmV3e94fWFsGl6P-qoxFCZ-9TYIsC-XgRpon1Qj4tz32FWnyjmSY8vJjoFC_chYBwpJ9u/s1600-h/toilet_signs_44.jpg

http://www.fortunefavours.net/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=12

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the links you provided and this post in general! I always laugh at myself when I am out Outback and can't decide if I am a Bloke or a Shelia and I always just decide I am a shelia because it is a female name! I am not sure how this can be a unified concept throughout the world. I like the pictures of a girl or a boy, the more visual the better!! However, we all dress differently around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post concept! I just came across this when I went to the Smokin Pig diner the other night. They have pictures of Hens and Roosters. I actually had to stop and think about it for a few seconds. "Ok, so I am a Hen."

    In thinking about how to design for the global community, I am continually drawn to the commonalities of all people. How do you differentiate without showing gender bias?

    Below are more links to various restroom signs.

    http://www.impactlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/crazy-restroom-signs-1.jpg

    http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/images/funny-restroom-signs-in-spanish1.jpg

    http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_406/1244027327do4M61.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devri – great post! I didn’t know the very self-explanatory term “wayfinding” prior to reading your post! You mentioned bad examples of wayfinding from your travels. This got me to thinking of my travels and wayfinding. In the summer of 2008 I went on a cruise. The ship was over 1000 feet in length and had many floors. It could have been quite difficult to navigate but thankfully wasn’t. There was good signage throughout directing you to points of interest like dining facilities, pools, sleeping quarters, etc. The cruise line also provided a map which laid out level by level where everything was. I wouldn’t ordinarily consider myself to have a great sense of direction but I didn’t have a single issue finding my way on the cruise and that was evidently because thoughtout wayfinding effectively!

    ReplyDelete