Friday, April 9, 2010

Branding and Culture

This class has been a very interesting extension of my undgrad studies. Just to give you all a perspective of where I am coming from I majored in cultural communication and minored in studio art. Both topics have become a very passionate part of my life, and I truly enjoy learning more about anything remotely associated with either.

Cultural studies focuses on identity and how it is created, maintained and understood. Since we are working on creating logos, which is a visual representation of a groups identity, some of things that I have previously studied really seem to apply here.

Like we have talked about in class, and read about, most of the visuals we are surrounded by on a daily basis are purposely created in order to make us feel, think, or obtain something specific. Through these messages individuals and groups create and share identities for many reasons.
There is a man, Philippe Starck who is an all around designer. His work includes industrial design, interior, fashion, graphic and many more types of design.
check out his website www.starck.com

Starck is an interesting character, he is very outspoken about his design practices which involve all kinds of theories about democratizing design among other things. But, what is interesting here is to look how he has branded himself based on these theories.

He talks about designing not for the elite and really designing objects, rooms, clothing etc. with very specific purpose, and very specific thought about the consumer and market place.


Starck has not only branded his objects but he has branded himself based on these ideas. He names his designs things like my "juicy salif" which is a lemon squeezer, but by calling it my "juicy salif" it becomes something else it sends a different message.

After looking at some of Starck's work and his website what do you think about his branding? What design tools does he use, and are they effective? Do you think that his visual rhetoric is cohesive with this verbal messages about design? Does any of this change how you thought about branding?



4 comments:

  1. The breadth of Starck's portfolio is interesting to me. Rather than specialize in one area of design, he seems to have focused on features and applied them universally. Lots of clean lines, gentle curves, neutral tones; his signature seems to me a mix of 50's atomic design & Swedish minimalism. I'm uncomfortable, I guess is the best word, with his range. It seems to me a quantity over quality mentality. Honestly, his portfolio reminds me of an IKEA catalog. Not that there's anything wrong with IKEA, but it seems the same branding applies. Most people have a mental image of IKEA products, I would say the same for people familiar with Starck. I guess that's true of many designers, but I can't think of one I like enough to have their designs pervade my entire life, from foodstuffs to transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting concept of design. I like his use of color and the gentle incorporation of the past with modern design. I think it's interesting that he designs everything...and there were a few things i liked more than others. I like the "design with purpose" idea especially with instructional designing. If we always take that into consideration when designing for learners, we would be in a good place. Starck has definitely created his own path...very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like his designs and agree with Jen about the combination of old and modern style. I think his stuff is really cool and really liked his use of space and choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this - I was not previously aware of Starck and find his images to be most unique. Starck's images incorporate a great deal “CRAP” as Dr. Kellison would say. I notice a great deal of contrast when looking at his images. Several of the images are black and white with just a punch of color which serves to accentuate the main element of the image. There is a great deal of repetition in the images from the repeating and Starck has chosen to do so most interestingly by repeating things like lines, doorways, and lettering. Starck has chosen to use different alignment styles in each of his images which draws the eye to various parts of the picture. Lastly, the proximity of the elements in Starck’s images is most intentional and deliberate.

    ReplyDelete