Saturday, January 30, 2010

When a Word’s Look Counted as Much as Its Meaning




I came across a news article from the New York Times. The title, When a Word’s Look Counted as Much as Its Meaning jumped out at me and after reading this article I was very interested in this topic.

The article discusses typography, a field that is often left obscure. I was shocked to find out that typeface design is not protected by the United States Copyright Law. This means, people can replicate and create fonts on their personal computers without a problem! The article goes on to discuss a company called Émigré which is a magazine. This magazine wowed the Museum of Modern Art in New York because of its use of fonts. The museum put the magazines on display for a year. Author Chloe Veltman states, “the marriage between a font’s beauty of form and the context in which it is employed is what makes the written word jump off the page. In striving to demonstrate this truth, Émigré deserves our attention.” The main message of the article is that business and art can coexist, you will find this a wonderful read! Check out the article by clicking here.
After looking at a few examples of work from Émigré on the top of the page or from the Émigré website, why do you think it had such an effect on people? What makes these images stand out?

3 comments:

  1. The article on Émigré’s legacy in the New York Times was very interesting to me. I never thought of the artistic qualities of typography before reading this article.

    I reviewed their Web site and determined for myself that their artistry was indeed obvious to see. I first noticed the use of different font styles and sizes in their graphics. The different color combinations also caught my attention. I see that the larger fonts provide the most important information while the smaller and specialty fonts provided more detail.

    It is apparent that the use of vast differences in font is a draw to the object. It creates a sense of curiosity that demands a closer look.

    While conducting a search, I found several sites that offer free font designs and others that sell their designs. If you are really savvy, there is even information available to teach you how to create your own font designs.

    Bookmarking these sites will definitely come in handy for the future projects I will be involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I had never really given it much thought before, it makes perfect sense that fonts make such an impression on the reader.

    Think about it.

    Whether or not I am writing about something romantic, serious, funny, etc. is definitely going to play a role into what kind of font I choose to use, I also tend to use cueing devices.

    Lohr talks about those on p. 242.
    Why do we use ALL CAPS, or italicize(which it wont let me do) or underline(same)?

    We want to make a point to our viewer.
    Although our author does say to stick with one or two cueing combinations so that your reader isnt too confused.

    Have any of yall ever gotten emails from people with way too many cues?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typography is a very interesting thing that I think is often overlooked when designing training. However, looking at the artistry that was used Émigré’s website, brought to life a whole other side of typography that I had never thought about before.
    In reference to what Jackie posted prior, I also noticed the differences in font style and size were used to convey a variety of different messages. While each artist chose to use a different range of fonts there seemed through looking at some there was a standardized way of doing things, which I think is vital.
    Whether we are designing a powerpoint slide,a "visual resume," or any other type of project that is visually based, it seems we should always have in mind a way of organizing our information in order to get the message across. When it comes to typography, I feel like it's important to consider if its readable and if it meshes with the images we are using. Additionally, we should consider how we can accent on certain points (through the use of larger fonts).
    In general, typography could be one of the most important factors contributing to a learner or person's ability to receive a message. The use of it should definitely be well thought out to make sure that the message is conveyed properly.

    ReplyDelete